STRAWBERRY HEDGEHOG NATURAL SOAP BENEFITS? | VEGAN? | PARABENS? | NATURAL? | ORGANIC? | SULFATES? | SYNTHETICS? | PETROLEUM? | ORDERS?| HOW LONG DO THEY KEEP? | GREEN? |
We are proud that Strawberry Hedgehog products are free of animal byproducts, sulfates, parabens, petroleum and artificial colors and fragrances. We are committed to providing affordable, safe, healthy and high quality natural skin care products for our customers.
Q. What are the benefits of Strawberry Hedgehog natural soaps?
- Hypo-Allergenic — sensitive skin’s best friend! The only exception is if you have a specific plant allergy, for example if you are allergic to lavender plants you don’t want to use any of our products that contain lavender. If you are not sure, shoot us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to double check.
- Non-Comedogenic — won’t clog your pores!
- Biodegradable — feel free to use them in your gray water system, camping, backpacking, etc.
- Gluten-free — all of our products are gluten-free, even our almond-oat soap is mindfully made with oats that are not processed with wheat.
- All carrier oils used are food grade — our philosophy is if you wouldn’t put it in your body, you probably shouldn’t put it on your skin.
- Non-GMO — all ingredients used in our products are not genetically modified.
Q. What is vegan?
Most soaps are not vegetarian, containing tallow (cow fat) or lard (pig fat). The use of animals in the current system of factory farming is cruel and extremely hard on the environment. [Read more in the NY Times]
Strawberry Hedgehog products are 100% vegan, meaning they are free of any animal byproducts. Many “natural” products or products that claim to be “cruelty free” continue to use animal byproducts, such as collagen, gelatin, beeswax, goat’s milk, or cow’s milk contributing not only to cruelty to these creatures but also to environmental problems. By buying vegan you are doing your small part to not financially contribute to these problems. Please read below for more info.
Q. What’s up with parabens?
Click here for more info on parabens. The most common no-no ingredient to be found in many conventional and even “natural” skin care products are the nasty synthetic preservatives like parabens found in nearly all of them. Parabens (usually Methyl or Propyl paraben) are used as preservatives to kill bacteria that can grow in products but these chemicals can build up in your system, they have been found in cancerous breast tissue, and they can lead to annoying to severe allergies. We at Strawberry Hedgehog believe it is best to avoid them all together and we go to great lengths to keep them out of our ingredients and our products to ensure the quality and safety of our products. In its place we make our products fresh to order and use a blend of natural plant extracts to inhibit microbial growth.
Q. Are Strawberry Hedgehog Products 100% Natural?
Yes. While “natural” is a term thrown haphazardly about in the cosmetics industry we at Strawberry Hedgehog mean it! What do we mean? All of our ingredients are natural, i.e. from nature. Period. Most are plant based with some natural minerals. We do not use synthetic chemicals (fragrances, preservatives, or otherwise) in our products and therefore our shelf lives are shorter than conventional products on the market. Our natural blend of plant extract preservatives give a minimum shelf life of about 3 months (longer if refrigerated) to our body creams while our soaps, salts, shea butter, and oils will last at least one year but more likely much longer. We make all of our goodies fresh to order to give you the most effective, fresh, and healthy products possible.
Q. What does organic mean? Are your products organic?
Organic indicates a set of specific growing practices intended to produce crops that are better for you and the Earth by eliminating the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers. It is a costly process to have products certified organic so I opt to simply using certified organic ingredients whenever possible. The only 100% organic product we offer is our unscented shea butter, however, many of our products contain certified organic ingredients. All of our lotions contain organic almond and apricot oil, organic aloe vera juice, organic shea butter, organic cocoa butter and organic herbs. We use organic sugar in our scrubs and organic oils in our bath and body oils. Organic ingredients are indicated in the ingredients listing which is provided for every product.
Q. What about Sulfates?
Sulfates, the inexpensive ingredients including Sodium Laurel or Laureth Sulfate in the name, are the synthetic detergents that companies use to create suds in shampoo and body wash. Research has shown that these sulfates, while successful at making frothy bubbles, can actually damage skin and hair. Strawberry Hedgehog offers fabulous lather and suds without the risk of sulfates in our natural handmade soaps.
Q. Do you add synthetic colors, fragrances or phthalates?
No. This goes along with the previous answer about being 100% natural but I will explain. Strawberry Hedgehog uses only colors and fragrances derived from plants and minerals. Herbs, fruit extracts, vegetable extracts, algae, and natural minerals such as rutile (titanium dioxide) and mica are exclusively used to create interesting color variation in our beautiful soaps. Because we use only pure essential oils and plant extracts rather than chemical fragrances, you don’t have to worry about Phthalates either. Phthalates are of growing concern, particularly for children and women of childbearing age, according to recent studies:
Click here for information from the Centers for Disease Control linking phalates with possible developmental and reproductive issues.
Click here for a study by the University of Rochester linking phthalates to the emasculation of baby boys.
Q. Anything else to steer clear of?
Yep. Petroleum based products can be harmful for your skin as can many other ingredients used in conventional products. The rule of thumb is if you cannot pronounce it, don’t use it! Here is an information sheet for more information on ingredients to avoid: Click here for our Top 10 Most Unwanted Ingredients flyer (.pdf)
Q. How long does it take to get my order?
Strawberry Hedgehog uses USPS Priority Mail for all shipments. Please allow 7-10 days for your products to be freshly made and 2-3 days for them to be shipped. You will receive an e-mail notification when you order has shipped.
Q. How long do they keep?
Products that do not contain water have a shelf life of at least a year, those include soaps, bath & body oil, shea butter, bath salts, & sugar scrubs. Keep water out of these products and let the soaps dry between uses for longest shelf life. With daily use a bar of soap should last for roughly one month, depending on how much you lather up.
Due to the natural preservatives used in the water-based products they do have a shorter shelf life than their synthetic-laden commercial counterparts. Sprays, cremes, and lotions should be used within 3 months with proper care. Cremes should be left closed between uses and used only with clean hands. Also, keeping the lid area clean will prevent premature oxidation (sometimes the lotion reacts with the metal in the lid and will darken the creme, it is still good, it just needs to be wiped down occassionally). The shelf life for all of our natural products can be extended with refrigeration.
Q. How is Strawberry Hedgehog an “Eco Friendly” company?
We are committed to using “green” business practices in everything we do. Just as examples:
- By avoiding animal-byproducts we do not contribue to the huge pollution created by the factory farming industry including water and air contamination. Click here for more information on the environmental impacts of factory farming.
- We deliver your packages to the post office in our fuel efficient, biodiesel burning Volkswagons. :c)
- We use recycled packing materials. We recycle shipping materials from our suppliers. We encourage our customers to reuse the materials they receive from us.
- We direct people to our website as much as possible, thereby minimizing the need to print catalogs. Catalogs are typically out of date as soon as they are printed, and can be a huge waste of paper.
- Order forms are 100% electronic eliminating paper waste.
- Our products are all packaged in safe, recyclable packaging, predominantly #1 PET plastic or reusable, dishwasher safe glass. We encourage our customers to recycle, or better yet REUSE our containers as we intentionally purchase packaging that is well suited for reuse. **** Please reuse our fabulous glass jars. ****Our products are not packaged in wasteful and unnecessary boxes.
- We use natural ingredients that are not harmful to the environment and are biodegradable.
- Last but not least, we are committed to making our products as natural and green as possible. We are proud supporters of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.